Who we are
We are a friendly and informal networking group of professional and amateur artists and anyone with an interest in the arts. Our current membership includes painters, potters, graphic designers, textile artists, writers, sculptors, furniture makers, print makers, photographers, stained glass artists, teachers and others with an interest in the arts. Have a look at the members list to see pictures of members and their work. You do not have to be a practising artist to join - membership is open to anyone.
For pictures of members, contact details and members 'works of art' have a look at the members list.
What we do
We have two main activities; annual winter and summer exhibitions, open to all members, and our regular monthly meetings.
The annual exhibitions, held around February of each year and in July/August are the highlights of our year. Generously hosted by the Broomhill Art Hotel in Muddiford, it gives all members the opportunity to exhibit their work in an internationally renowned contemporary art gallery and to gain support from colleagues and the public and a chance for the cross-fertilisation of ideas and future collaborations.
Our regular evening meetings are held at 8pm on the second Wednesday of the month, usually at the Broomhill Art Hotel, Muddiford. Each meeting has a subject and topics are enormously varied. In the past we've had formal presentations by guest speakers, informal discussions on aspects of art, poetry readings, demonstrations and a performance of dance. Arrive at 7.15 pm to network with members over a delicious hot buffet supper - phone the Broomhill Art Hotel to book supper on 01271 850 262.
NDA - Aims & Objectives
North Devon Arts was formed in 1998 from a need expressed by rurally isolated artists in the area, of wanting to feel connected, meet like-minded people and feeling they could be a greater voice for the Arts in North Devon by joining forces.
NDA is a constituted, membership group (with over 100 households as members), meeting on the second Wednesday evening of each month, usually at Broomhill Art Hotel. These meetings are open to all interested in the Arts, with a possible charge of £4 for non-members
The main aims of NDA are:
- To encourage all types of artists to come together from the visual arts, ceramics, performance, textiles, sculpture, writing, etc:
- To be an umbrella organisation to promote and encourage participation of and interest in, the Arts, Crafts and Skills in North Devon and the surrounding areas.
- To promote and encourage Plans, Projects and Schemes amongst its members.
- To encourage people of all backgrounds, ages and abilities to develop and improve their interests and skills.
- To provide an informal, social gathering where topics of common interest can be discussed and demonstrated.
- To enhance the tourism industry in North Devon by planning projects that may encourage visitors from outside the area.
- To create a higher understanding of art in the community by liaising with the local Councils and organisations, advocating the use of art and artists in their future plans and projects.
A copy of the current North Devon Arts constitution may be downloaded here.
A copy of the North Devon Arts equal opportunity statement and advice may be downloaded here.
The key findings of our NDA Membership Survey 2009-2010 are available here. If you are an NDA member and want to see the full 11-page report, please email email@example.com to request a copy.