We are a friendly and informal networking group of professional and amateur artists and those interested in the arts.
Our current members include painters, sculptors, ceramicists, graphic designers, textile artists, writers, furniture makers, printmakers, stained glass artists, teachers and others with an interest in the arts. The Gallery will give you an introduction to members and their work. But you do not have to be an artist to join!
Image by Jane Chadney – NDA Member
NDA was set up in 1998 to enable artists and those interested in the arts to find a way to connect and develop across a large rural county with dispersed communities. NDA acts as a forum to encourage the arts where ideas and practices can grow. Over the last twenty years many artists have found the artistic and social opportunities offered by NDA has enabled their work to develop, mature and find new modes of expression.
The main aims of NDA are:
- To encourage all types of artists to come together from the visual arts, ceramics, performance, textiles, sculpture, writing, etc:
- To be an umbrella organisation to promote and encourage participation of and interest in, the Arts, Crafts and Skills in North Devon and the surrounding areas.
- To promote and encourage Plans, Projects and Schemes amongst its members.
- To encourage people of all backgrounds, ages and abilities to develop and improve their interests and skills.
- To provide an informal, social gathering where topics of common interest can be discussed and demonstrated.
- To enhance the tourism industry in North Devon by planning projects that may encourage visitors from outside the area.
- To create a higher understanding of art in the community by liaising with the local Councils and organisations, advocating the use of art and artists in their future plans and projects.
A copy of the current North Devon Arts constitution may be downloaded here.
A copy of the North Devon Arts equal opportunity statement and advice may be downloaded here.
The key findings of our NDA Membership Survey 2009-2010 can be downloaded here. If you are an NDA member and want to see the full 11-page report, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy.
We meet at Queen Anne’s Café on the Strand in Barnstaple on the second Wednesday of each month for a buffet and an event. These are frequently talks from artists or others, but also include film shows, interactive poetry readings, formal conversations and social events.
These well-established evenings are very popular and provide opportunities to meet like-minded people and to network among friends. Meetings are free to members and £5 for non-members. To find out when the next meeting is, please visit the Meetings Calendar page.